Are you suffering from uncomfortable, knee pain? If so, have you considered the treatment options for easing the pain? If you think there is nothing that can be done to treat knee pain, think again. One way in which you can help heal your knee and prevent pain from occurring in the future is with chiropractic care. Fortunately, chiropractic treatment is usually effective at treating many different forms of knee pain. Here�s how a pain management specialist like a chiropractor treats your knee problems.
Six Steps to Treating Knee Pain
- In-depth examination. The chiropractor begins by making an examination of the knee joint and asking questions to find out the source of the pain, how the pain might have occurred, when the pain is most intense, and whether there is also pain in other parts of the body. It is important to remember that the knee joint may not be the only problem � pain may be transferred from other areas of the body such as the hips or the lower back. Once the examination has been completed, the chiropractor will draw up a treatment plan.
- Reducing inflammation and pain. In order to help improve mobility and reduce swelling, ice may be used on the joint. The knee will be elevated and rest is recommended for the initial period following the onset of pain.
- Chiropractic adjustments. Manipulations are needed in order to bring the knee back to its previous functionality as well as increase its strength and range of movement.
- Massage. Soft-tissue massage helps increase flexibility in the knee as well as ease pain. It is important that the massage is gentle enough not to cause any extra discomfort.
- Rehabilitation exercises. The long-term goal of the treatment is to remove pain as well as prevent it returning in the future. To this end, various exercises and rehabilitation activities are recommended for carrying out at home. You will also learn how posture affects the knee joint and how to sit and stand properly to minimize pain.
- Home care. Take steps to lose weight if you need to � excess weight puts extra strain on the knees. Eat a healthy diet and exercise regularly to improve joint health as well as your overall health.
Still have questions? �Contact Advanta Total Health in Marietta, GA today to schedule your FREE consultation!